2008年5月11日 星期日

stomach

Op-Ed: Change We Can Stomach

Definition

<– Back to results

stomach PhoneticPhoneticPhoneticPhoneticPhoneticPhoneticPhoneticPhoneticPhoneticPhonetic
noun [C] plural stomachs
an organ in the body where food is digested, or the soft front part of your body just below the chest:
He was punched in the stomach.
The doctor asked him to lie down on his stomach.
The sight of blood always churns/turns my stomach (= makes me feel as if I am going to vomit).
She's got a very delicate stomach and doesn't eat spicy food.
I was hungry and my stomach had started growling/rumbling (= making noises).
He felt a knot of nervousness in the pit (= bottom) of his stomach.
I suggested that a cup of tea might settle (= calm) her stomach.
See picture .

stomach
verb [T usually in negatives]
to be able to accept an unpleasant idea or watch something unpleasant:
He can't stomach the idea that Peter might be the next chairman.
She found the violence in the film hard to stomach.

沒有留言: